Thursday, May 07, 2015
As the current season comes to a close, we would like to thank all of our parents for the hard work and dedication to make this one of the best seasons for Glen-Ed Soccer.
Some of the many accomplishments off the field were:
- Generated record income and spent a record budget on programs for the players.
- Donated $15k (total of $38k so far) to the EGHM Foundation (committed to $50k over 5 year period).
- Presented the 6th Annual Glen-Ed Spring Kick-Off with over 130 teams
- Preparing now to present the first annual Glen-Ed 3v3 Tournament this summer
- Acquired the SIUe soccer facility off of Stadium Drive.
Some of the many accomplishments on the field were:
- Registered 23 teams from U7 to U18 in both boys and girls.
- Most of our teams played SISL but we did have two teams play SLYSA.
- 4 Champions in our Tournament (U10B Revolution, U14B Galaxy, U15B United and U16B United).
- 2 teams were finalists in our Tournament (U9B Cobra White and U11B Thunder)
- Had 4 more teams (U13B Force, U14B Galaxy, U16B United, U17G United) win other tournaments.
- In addition to our club’s coaching staff that includes 1 USSF B License, 2 USSF C License and 13 USSF D License coaches, we were able to bring in some of the highest quality trainers in the Nation and area to train our players including:
- Dave Fernandez, Nationally Recognized Coach/Trainer and USSF A License
- John Becher, Glen-Ed Director of Coaching – USSF C License, Led Training this Spring.
- John Van Buskirk, McKendree College Men’s Head Coach and UEFA C License
- Mario Sanchez, SIUe Men’s Head Coach and USSF A License
- Derek Burton, SIUe Women’s Head Coach and USSF B License
- Gene Baker, Legendary Granite City High Coach (9 State Championships) and member of IL Soccer Coaches Hall of Fame
We are extremely proud of these accomplishments.
As we look forward to next season, the club will continue to pursue opportunities for our players to develop to their fullest potential.
- We are pleased to announce Dave Fernandez and Mark Ward will be back next year as our club’s primary trainers.
- We will have more teams play in the SLSYA league.
- And though the board continues to explore all opportunities to improve the quality of programs and affiliations with professional organizations, the Glen-Ed Sports Association, a 501(c)(3) tax exempt charitable organization, has no plans now or in the future to merge with any other club.
- We expect to have approximately 26 teams next year.
Our mission has been and always will be:
“to assist players to ‘Pursue the Dream’ by offering quality select sports participation in Soccer, Volleyball and Softball at an affordable price. We believe in creating a lifelong passion for sports by creating character in a challenging, fun and safe environment.”
Finally, as we close the current season and look forward to the next, we want to wish all Glen-Ed parents and players a happy and safe summer.
Mark Rimkus – President